Warmaster or Giant Slayer? Decisions… Decisions…

Since the changes made on Warmaster, there’s one recurring question asked by most players.
Should you use Warmaster or Giant Slayer?

Warmaster

Has a 60% chance of inflicting bonus damage when attacking. Bonus damage is equal to 10% of the target Champion’s MAX HP or 4% of the target’s MAX HP when attacking Bosses. Bonus damage can only occur once per Skill and does not count as an extra hit.

Damage based on: [Enemy MAX HP]

The Warmaster mastery:
Bonus damage can only occur once when attacking the enemy, even if you’re hitting him 4 times.

Giant Slayer

Has a 30% chance of inflicting bonus damage when attacking. Bonus Damage is equal to 5% of the target’s MAX HP or 2% of the Boss’ MAX HP. Bonus damage can occur on each hit of a Skill, but does not counter as an extra hit.

Damage based on: [Enemy Max HP]

Giant Slayer mastery:
Bonus damage can occur on each hit of a Skill as many times as you hit the target.

Your decision

Analyze the attacks of your champion when choosing which one to use.

Calculating the odds of using Giant Slayer:
1 Hit – 30% chance of Bonus Damage – 70% chance of no Bonus Damage
2 Hits – 51% chance of Bonus Damage – 49% chance of no Bonus Damage
3 Hits – 65.7% chance of Bonus Damage – 34.3% chance of no Bonus Damage
4 Hits – 75.99% chance of Bonus Damage – 24.01% chance of no Bonus Damage

Calculating the odds of using Warmaster:
You always have 60% chance to have at least 1 Bonus Damage, and 40% chance of not having a Bonus Damage at all.

Bosses

The choice is easy… it depends on how many hits your champion performs per turn.
The rule is:
If your champion hits 1 or 2 times, choose Warmaster.
If your champion hits for 3 or 4 times, choose Giant Slayer.

Against champions

In the Arena, Use Warmaster.

Since you want to have reliable damages, 10% given by the Warmaster, and 5% damage with Giant Slayer, you need at least 2 hits to get Bonus Damage, which based on the 30% chance of the mastery, calculates to less than 10%, even if you have 3 hits, a slightly more then 10% if you have 4 hits.

In total, it’s way less than the 60% chance offered by Warmaster.